Wednesday, November 3, 2010

On Becoming Debt-Free

Let's face it.  Who hasn't wanted to be debt-free?  I know I sure do. 

When I sold my house in Ohio and moved to Kansas, I was real close to being as debt-free as I've ever been.  Then it took me too long to find a job here in Kansas.  After I went through the small amount of capital I had leftover from my Ohio house, and the pittance in my 401k, I began using my credit cards for necessary things, such as gas and groceries.

Big mistake.

Now I'm in debt again.  I work part-time for the Kansas Turnpike.  During the summer, I was scheduled A LOT to work.  Now that the travel season is over, I'm lucky to be scheduled two days a week.  Ouch.  That's not going to work for me.  Not only will it NOT help me get out of debt, it's not even going to cover my monthly car payment or keep my current on my other minimum payments.

As of yesterday, I have the opportunity to gain a full-time job at the hospital where I worked as a temporary employee twice in 2009.  My first interview is tomorrow, and I've got my fingers crossed.  Sure, it's disheartening to think I might have to work 7 days a week for a period of time since my plan is to keep the turnpike job for weekends only.  We'll see how long I can do the 7-day gig before I burn-out.

But I want to grab that chance to save as much money as I can, and work harder than I ever have to climb out of debt.  I'm going to draw up a mantra, a philosophy, so I can push myself to be positive about having a job, heck, having two jobs, that offer a paycheck.

In that vein, I found this new blog today, Enemy of Debt, with lots of good motivational stories of others who have gotten out of debt.  I've only read a few posts, and I'm already motivated. So I wanted to share this blog with my friends here.

If you're already NOT in debt, then good for you.  If you are, then I hope you're inspired as much as I am by Enemy of Debt, and all the links he has to other debt-free philosophy blogs.

Once I get my short- and long-range plans down on paper, I will share them here with you, my readers. I'm going to need a cheering section to help me stay on the debt-free path during my journey!

1 comment:

  1. I will try to watch for posts and be your cheerleader whenever possible. Better rest up while you can, working 7 days a week is a whole lot to take on!

    ReplyDelete

C'mon. Admit it. We all have issues. :-)