Thursday, July 29, 2010

Off To Work I Go

Looking north on I-35 in Kansas from my "office"

Yes, it's time to head to work again.  3 pm to 11 pm shift today.  In Lane 8.  Not a bad lane to work, albeit a very busy lane as it's a straight shot to the booth for traffic.

I have to say my new job as a toll booth collector is DIFFERENT, especially since I've worked in an office most of my life, doing the 8-5 stint.  Now I'm outside, not only weathering the storms and extreme heat, but also dealing with the public, a new person every 30 seconds or so. Variable shifts since I'm part-time... sometimes 3-11, or 7-3.  So far, no night shift work, referred to as "hoot" work.

I've made it my personal challenge to make every single person smile.  It's a tough challenge, and some people just REFUSE to smile.  You know the ones... their day isn't a good day unless they have something to gripe about.  And of course, everyone is in a huge hurry, which makes them even grumpier, waiting behind another car to pay their toll.

And so it's off to work I go.... after all, the bills must be paid!!  

Add Chrysler and Bank of America to that grumpy bunch when they don't get their monthly payment....

5 comments:

  1. Interesting shot! And I know life ain't all lollipops and roses, so count me in to stop by once in a while, when I can grab the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, maybe the nice ones will come by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun job! Ok, I say that because I am a receptionist and totally understand the new face with every passing minute - it takes a special type of person to put that happy face back on to make the next person smile even if the last one was a total a**! I have a feeling you are that kind of person too and I think you'll really come to like what you're doing, and I can bet you'll have some funny stories to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work 7-4 at the office. Then, I come home and work two more jobs. And, there's the farm, the dogs, the housework, online college... etc. I'm finding myself SO tired and feeling like I can NOT catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya. Loud and clear. I have some grumpy ones to deal with too.

    ReplyDelete

C'mon. Admit it. We all have issues. :-)